BLK w/BEAR – JS Adams; Doug Poplin; Renée Shaw and PD Sexton – provide a self (mis)guided audio tour component to the Zeitgeist III exhibit. Working with text-to-sound files created from copy provided by the curators and exhibiting artists along with other input, their sound-art composition E:MIT seeks to convey an audiographic meltdown due to our on-going over-saturation and subsequent digital breakdown of too much (electronic) information. Gallery goers will interact with the sound files via their own smart phones by reading QR codes positioned around the DC Arts Center.
· E:MIT 000 _ WELCOME [ 00:52 ]
· E:MIT 001 _
· E:MIT 002 _ ARKIN : how much is too much + how will we know? [ 00:45 ]
· E:MIT 003 _ BLOCK : a faded card made from a material that could not be identified [ 00:25 ]
· E:MIT 004 _ BROOKS : the fog is part of the dance [ 05:40 ]
· E:MIT 005 _ DANA : PROMENADE 005 [ 0:48 ]
· E:MIT 006 _
· E:MIT 007 _ DRYMON : his growth + damage [ 06:48 ]
· E:MIT 008 _ DWIGHT : daulität [ 15:08 ]
· E:MIT 009 _ GIBSON-HUNTER : the fairness of my community [ 07:28 ]
· E:MIT 010 _ GOSLEE : promendae 010 [ 00:12 ]
· E:MIT 011 _ HERMAN : promenade 011 [ 00:28 ]
· E:MIT 012 _
· E:MIT 013 _ IOCOVONE : duetto [ 14:05 ]
· E:MIT 014 _ JANTZEN : PROMENADE 014 [ 00:14 ]
· E:MIT 015 _ MORISETTE : consuming [ 00:56 ]
· E:MIT 016 _ PLATT + BEANE : winnowing [ 00:26 ]
· E:MIT 017 _ TREVARROW : dinosaur or mattress? [ 00:54 ]
· E:MIT 018 _ WEISS : overwhelmed by guilt + feelings of incompetence [ 00:45 ]
· E:MIT 000 _ INSTALLATION - martin luther [ 00:46 ]
BLK w/BEAR advocates a communications aesthetic wherein audio/visuals are distilled to key base components through image pixelation and sound/time manipulation. We celebrate the physical manifestation of misfired communications, broken language and broadcast interference. We champion delay and decay. We champion audio bleed, field recordings and the deconstructed surface noise of altered vinyl recordings. We herald cyclical repetitions and misappropriated realignments, intentional over-processing, signal saturation and digital malfeasance, audio pranksterism. Through aggressive enlargement and recontextualization of the mundane and every-day we hope to usher listeners and viewers into a deeper introspective relationship with previously familiar – now unstable – environs.
w/BEAR have garnered glowing reviews and international airplay
for the thought-provoking and moving 'Wish for a World Without Hurt'
ZEITGEIST III _ TOO MUCH INFORMATION?
Curated by Ellyn R. Weiss + Sondra N. Arkin
04 May – 10 June 2012